New findings about ingredients in skincare | Lush Angels on Bare Skin

Monday, July 11, 2016

Image taken from Amazon 
Recently, I read Paula Begoun’s book on skincare and its ingredients and boy, was my mind blown. Many ingredients that I loved are actually irritating the skin. So I thought I would just share a quick list of beneficial and irritating ingredients here with you (the list is not exhaustive by all means).

Before deciding if an ingredients is going to be beneficial for our skin, it is good to know the 3 kinds of ingredients that we should always look out for, regardless of age and skin type.

Firstly, we all need antioxidants, which helps to reduce free-radical and environmental damage as well as inflammation within the skin layers. Notable ones are Vitamin C and Green Tea.

Next, we need skin-repairing/identical ingredients, which help to maintain the skin’s barrier and allow the skin to repair itself. Notable ones include hyaluronic acid, sodium hyaluronate, glycerin and ceramides.

Lastly, we require cell-communicating ingredients, which helps to reverse the damage caused by years of sun damage, acne, age and hormone fluctuations (which causes irregular, mutated, rough and defective new cells) by helping the skin to produce healthier cells. Notable ones include niacinamide, retinol, retinaldehyde, retinoid acid, synthetic peptides, lecithin, adenosine triphosphate, linolenic acid, linoleic acid.

Many products irritate our skin and even though it does not show up on the surface immediately, the effects can show up years later. Irritation can also result in oilier skin, as it triggers the nerve endings in the pore, which results in the production of androgens (hormones that increase oil production and makes pores bigger). 

I can’t really explain the scientific part of it but this makes really does clarify what I need to look out for when it comes to skincare. The skincare industry is booming and the myriad of skincare products are confusing, to say the least. After reading this book, I found myself looking and perusing the ingredients list before any purchase or review. I wrote some common ingredients here and hope that the list will help you! 

Let’s start with what ingredients are good for us!
  • allantoin = effective anti-irritant 
  • arbutin = hydroquinone derivative
  • adenosine = good anti-inflammatory & cell-communicating ingredient 
  • beta-glucan= anti oxidant and anti-inflammatory agent 
  • hydroquinone = strong inhibitor of melanin. good for reducing brown spots and hyper pigmentation. 
  • mica = earth mineral included in products to give sparkle and shine 
  • grapeseed oil = anti oxidant 
  • squalene = natural component of skin and a good emollient that has antioxidant and immune-stimulating properties
  • octinoxate = oldest and most common sunscreen active used to protect primarily UVB rays 
  • talc = naturally occurring silicate material, used as an absorbent
Now, the bad (and some on this list shocked me!):
  • eucalyptus oil
  • grapefruit oil / grapefruit peel extract
  • geranium oil
  • limonene
  • linalool
  • lavender extract and oil / lemon/lemongrass/lime oil (I love lavender, and this breaks my heart)
  • menthol
  • peppermint
  • rosa damascene oil
  • rose flower oil
  • rosemary oil
  • sodium lauryl sulfate (NOT sodium laureth sulphate, which has a higher amount and different structure of fatty alcohols so it is not harmful)
  • witch hazel (I KNOW RIGHT!)

P.s. Paula’s choice has an ingredient dictionary online so you can try googling and researching it on your own!

Image taken from the LUSH USA website
This brings me to my little review of the Lush Angel’s on Bare Skin cleanser. Now, I love this and it works great on my skin. This, in fact, is my third tub of it! However, as I was googling ingredients, I realized that there are tons of irritating ingredients present here. This made me terribly sad, but I think, better be safe than sorry! I guess I will not be repurchasing it again. 

Here are the ingredients (in bold are the supposed irritating ingredients):
Ground Almonds (Prunus dulcis) , Glycerine , Kaolin , Water (Aqua) , Lavender Oil (Lavandula augustifolia) , Rose Absolute (Rosa damascena) , Chamomile Blue Oil (Matricaria Chamomilla) , Tagetes Oil (Tagetes minuta) , Benzoin Resinoid (Styrax tonkinensis pierre) , Lavender Flowers (Lavandula augustifolia) , *Limonene , *Linalool .
*Occurs naturally in essential oils

Of course, take everything from with a grain of salt as various parties will always have opposing points of view. I am just sharing what I learnt from reading the book but there are definitely more books that need to be read.



Hope this post was informative and was helpful! Xo.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Share with me your thoughts :

-

-