Neutralise that red | Lafine Catalina Geo Color Capsule Makeup Base Review

Sunday, November 20, 2016


Gone are the days where I skip the step of priming my face. I did not know better then, and I wished I caught on sooner.

Depending on the formulation of the makeup base, they can help you to minimise the appearance of pores and uneven skin texture, hydrate the skin, even out the skin tone or enable the foundation to go on smoother and last longer.

As I do have sensitive skin and a few blemishes here and there on my cheeks, I do get some redness on my cheek area. To help reduce the redness and even out the skin tone, a green face primer is going to be your friend.

I recently received the Lafine Catalina Geo Color Capsule Makeup Base in the green shade and could not wait to test it out as I have been looking for a green primer for a while now.


Green is utilised to neutralise red - red cheeks, rosacea, broken veins and blemishes. If you are looking for something to help reduce the appearance of freckles, age spots and pigmentation, try the blue one instead. There is the option of yellow as well, meant to reduce the sallowness and dullness of the skin.


This primer comes with a pump, which is fantastic as it is more convenient and hygienic. It is much easier to control the amount of product dispensed as well.

What intrigued me the most was the colour capsules. As you can see, this primer consists of tons of green capsules suspended in a clear transparent gel-like solution. When pumped, the capsules and the solution gets mixed, and you get the green face primer all ready to be used.


This makeup base leans more on the heavier consistency and it takes a while to blend into the skin. Think of a thick cream - you need to work it in. When you do so, it remains quite tacky on the skin, which makes it great to follow up with foundation as this means that the foundation will stick to it and last longer.

I would not recommend just using this makeup base on its own as it results in a slight white cast on the skin and it does not set.

This makeup base contains titanium dioxide (a physical sunscreen) so it helps to protect the skin against the harmful UV rays as well. I can't find any details on the SPF though, so I suggest using your typical sunscreen below it.


Here is a close up of my skin to show you the makeup base at work! I do find that it does help to neutralise the redness and when I apply foundation atop it, the red blemishes do not peek through.


Overall, I do think that this makeup base does a decent job at neutralising the reddish tones on my skin. I am not a big fan of the texture as it feels pretty thick on the face. I also did not notice this makeup base helping to prolong the wear of my foundation either. Thus, I would not really recommend it if you're on the search for a multi-faceted makeup base. Also, its official price is 47000 Won (about SGD 56) which I feel is pricey and not worth it.

Update: I realised that this makeup base causes tiny bumps to be formed under my skin surface at the end of the day. This could be because I am allergic to a specific ingredient here so I am, unfortunately, going to be chucking this away.

You can see that my blemishes aren't so obvious anymore after I finish up my base application! The foundation used was light-medium coverage. 
P.S. If you're looking for something to help neutralise the redness on your face and aren't ready to take the plunge to get a full sized face primer or you just have a few spots of redness that need to neutralised, I highly suggest that you check out Catrice All Round Concealer palette instead. This palette contains a green concealer that you can strategically apply to help with the neutralisation of redness on the face and I used to use tons of this when I was a freelance makeup artist. You can find it at Guardian and it retails for SGD 6.90!

Till then,





** This makeup base was sent by BNT News for a review . Only honest thoughts are shared here, with no influence from others. I am not compensated nor affliated to the brand. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

-

-